wg-multicast - Re: multicast over layer 2 core

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast over layer 2 core

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: multicast over layer 2 core
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:55:05 -0400

We have two separate layer 2 cores. All of our distribution/building routers have an interface to each core (two per router, one per core). Multicast does indeed go everywhere on the cores. We have gig everywhere, so it is not much of a problem. We can't turn on igmp snooping on the cores, as that would totally screw up pim and igmp. (we know from experience). So currently we deal with it. We will eventually add another set of cores for layer 3 connections between our routers. We will run multicast over those links. The layer 2 core will only continue to exist to allow us to have a few subnets exist across the entire network (wireless for example).

So basically, we don't worry about it. I can see that it could be an issue if you have some tighter links to the cores. If there are only a few smaller links, perhaps you could start routing them first. We are using Cisco 6509's sup1a/msfc 1s in our core. We are routing to our egress from the cores, and all is good. If you don't have the capability to route on your core boxes now, perhaps you might consider getting that ability sooner rather than later.

We are lucky that we have dark fiber and short distances between all of our buildings (all within limits of gigE over single mode) I am not sure how big your campus is, and if you have other constraints. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Peter Hill
Network Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University