wg-multicast - Re: My question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: My question

  • From: John Zwiebel <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: My question
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 14:01:43 -0700

On 9/4/02 12:26 PM, "Marshall Eubanks"

> John;
>
> Wouldn't you recommend that the cookbook use static RP's ?
> This is easy to do, pretty common,
> and my presumption would be that a domain that
> needed something like auto-rp with anycast would need more clue
> than they can get from a cook-book.
>
> Marshall

I think an ISP should use static RP.
-- they have to handle all traffic
-- there's no way to determine scope
-- there's no way to do share-trees
-- since they do SPT across the ISP, MSDP anycast it the right way.

Small enterprises, with few routers may find static RP the right way.

Any enterprise larger than 20 routers, will want to use either
the BSR or auto-RP to provide management. And if they are growing
and getting reconfigured often, then again, BSR or auto-RP

RP information distribution has way too many options for a "cookbook",
as you said. I wouldn't propose that all that information be
discussed in the cookbook. OTOH, I don't think it would be right
to specify a static RP without at least hinting at the other
options.

What I would like to see, is the cookbook specify SSM and pointers
to SSM and that it do some kind of "rah rah" for SSM. That
would make all of our lives much easier.

A long answer to your simple question. I could have said "yes".

:-)