wg-multicast - Re: My question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: My question

  • From: Tim Ward <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: My question
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:38:08 -0500

Quoting Marshall Eubanks
():

> Is it assuming that auto-RP will create a RP in this (assumed
> CISCO) domain ? But then, shouldn't it require setting PIM to "sparse
> dense" ?

Thanks, Marshall, it seems I'm not insane!

> In any case, it seems to me that the cookbook should address the care and
> feeding of RP's.

I think you're right there.

Currently you have three options that I know of for RP:

Auto-RP -- cisco specific requires PIM sparse-dense within a PIM domain
BSR -- not cisco specific allows for PIM sparse within a PIM domain
Anycast RP -- not cisco specific but requires MSDP between RPs

Any others that should be added?

Tim