wg-multicast - Re: My question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: My question

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Brent Sweeny <>, Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: Richard Murphy <>,
  • Subject: Re: My question
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:10:16 -0400

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:52:23 -0500
Brent Sweeny
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:14:13AM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:03:49 -0500
> > Richard Murphy
> > <>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks to all who sent me configuration tips. There were a few
> differences in
> > > the advice I was given, so I thought I would post a
> > > diagram of my network and some multicast configuration details in case
> anyone
> > > wants to add to their comments. The 7206VXR is using
> > > the Abilene cookbook configuration and seems to show the proper status
> all
> >
> > Where is the Abilene mc cookbook on-line ?
>
> http://www.abilene.iu.edu/mccook.html

Thanks, Brent;

I just glanced over this, so correct me if I am wrong...

I notice that the cookbook does not talk about setting up a RP, but
seems to treat the new network as if it will be a
seperate PIM domain, and so will need a RP.

Is it assuming that auto-RP will create a RP in this (assumed
CISCO) domain ? But then, shouldn't it require setting PIM to "sparse dense" ?
On the other hand, isn't auto-rp the default, so that if
you want to use BSR you have
to turn it off and turn on BSR ? Or am I missing something, and
the cookbook assumes that the PIM RP will be in Abilene?

In any case, it seems to me that the cookbook should address the care and
feeding of RP's.

Marshall