wg-multicast - Re: Can use some multicast configuration advice

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Can use some multicast configuration advice

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Can use some multicast configuration advice
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:58:26 -0400

If you are using Auto-RP you need to use either [dense-mode or sparse-dense-mode] or anycast-rp

The idea is that the leaf routers need a way to discover the RP. With anycast RP, you have the leaf routers use special multicast groups (224.0.1.39 and 224.0.1.40) to discover the real rps. It works fine. We have two routers that are msdp peers that are both configured with the same loopback1 address of 128.2.1.130. This ip is distributed throughout OSPF to all the leaf routers. The leaf routers find the closest rp and then that rp hands out their unique ip address that the leaf routers use as the rp address. Because we have an msdp mesh, both of the rps have the same msdp state. If one rp dies, then the leaf routers will use the other rp to setup new multicast sessions. If you look at the link below, you can see that of all the different pim methods, that auto-rp, anycast, sparse mode is the way to go.