wg-multicast - Re: Can use some multicast configuration advice

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Can use some multicast configuration advice

  • From: Tim Ward <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Can use some multicast configuration advice
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:43:12 -0500

Quoting Jay Ford
():

> I opted to avoid BSR & auto-rp entirely, in favor of statically defining the
> anycast RP address on the non-RPs. I use an IP address which is used only
> for the anycast RP, which decouples it from any particular box & thus
> minimizes the risk of having to change the static RP definition in the
> non-RPs due to failure or relocation of the RP(s). It's simple & it seems
> work.

I agree that this is the best way to go. But having stabilized on BSR at
this point and a big production service to roll out in a week, I don't
think we'll change for now. Hopefully in winter break we'll migrate to
Anycast RP with static assignments.

Brent, is there any way to collect the community wisdom and get it into
the cookbook?

Tim