wg-multicast - Re: Large Multicast Audience

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Large Multicast Audience

  • From: Tim Ward <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: James Martin <>, Richard Mavrogeanes <>, , , , , , Ileana Landon <>,
  • Subject: Re: Large Multicast Audience
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:23:20 -0500

Andy Elble on our engineering staff here has compiled info on viewership
from the multicast on Tuesday. Feel free to correct me on any of this,
Andy!

The maximum number of viewers of the 1.5 Mbps MPEG 1 encoded stream
at any one time was 345 at 12:45 PM CDT.

The total number of unique viewers of the stream was 575.
The time history shows the growth of the unique viewers tailing
off markedly by 4:00 PM or so.

The stream was encoded using our vbrick equipment, at the request of
vbrick staff. We also contacted CNN to be allowed to continue the
multicast after it was established.

I want to take some space to thank Terry O'Connor and Rich Mavorgeanes
at vbrick with whom we worked through details of the multicast to provide
it to you. And a public thanks to CNN for allowing us to continue the
multicast.

Tim