wg-multicast - Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience

  • From: "James Martin" <>
  • To: , John Watters <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:02:21 -0700

At 04:53 PM 9/14/2001 -0500, Tim Ward wrote:

We actually got the OK from CNN to continue the multicasting for the duration
of the event. IMHO what it will take is getting a hold of someone with a
clue at CNN who saw how their brand suffered wrt unicast traffic, but
excelled greatly wrt multicast. Should be the CTO/CIO of CNN?

It's certainly worth a try, but as someone else mentioned, they are AOL/Time Warner owned....

To what extent are there advertiser problems for this type of service?
CNN on my local Cable has local ads. Marshal probably doesn't care about
the Pizza at Carmen's, though.

I think that's exactly the reason we'll run into trouble. That's why I was thinking that the BBC World Service would be a good candidate. Since they don't derive their revenue from ads, it might be easier to get them involved.

- Jim