wg-multicast - Re: Large Multicast Audience

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Large Multicast Audience

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Cc: , , , ,
  • Subject: Re: Large Multicast Audience
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:32:56 -0400

Dear Richard;

Richard Mavrogeanes wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The VBrick can be configured to join its own multicast, and this
> is the default configuration. This is because certain poorly designed
> switches flood (cgmp) if there is not at least one client listening to
> the multicast. The feature can be disabled.

But it should not cause problems if properly implemented.

> I believe Tuesday's event was one of the largest multicast events, and
> there were many people showing our video on the floor at N+I in Atlanta
> via I2 multicast.

I agree that Tuesday was one of the largest multicast events, and in a sad
way a
real plus for multicast. See
http://imj.ucsb.edu/mantra/session-mon/session-mon.html
for evidence of the size of the audience increases this weekend.

However, we also had a big burst in audience, and only one was from
interop.net. I think that the traffic burst was from people from all over
the place wanting news once conventional websites and streaming sites melted
down.

> I would certainly like to receive some evidence that this is true, and
> if anyone can assist me in this regard, please feel free to contact me.

I think that the Mantra plots are pretty powerful evidence in that regard.

> Best Regards,
>
> Rich Mavrogeanes
> Founder/President
> VBrick Systems, Inc.
> 1-203-303-0200

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html