wg-multicast - Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience

  • From: Joel Jaeggli <>
  • To: John Watters <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, John Watters wrote:

> Now, what do we need to do to get CNN to allow us to rebroadcast their
> stuff on
> a normal basis without fear or being prosecuted for copyright infringement,
> etc?

They need a convincing revenue model before patch they'll cable directly
onto the internet...

There are people who are certainly working on businness models around
multicast delivery. but I'm afraid that television companies are unlikey
to do anything that jepardizes the payments they recieve from local cble
companies/sattelite providers, unless they see an even bigger payout as
likely.

I've had some rather eye-opening meetings with fox pictures about what it
would take to get them involved, it's not pretty.

> I also used my VBrick to rebroadcast CNN to my campus (though it leaked out
> was
> was heard as far away as U of Oregon; actually, I didn't take too much
> trouble
> to limits the scope).It really got people on my campus ready to have this
> available on a day-to-day basis. But, without CNN's cooperation, I'm afraid
> it
> will just die. We have disparately need content that is useful to
> everybody, not
> just researchers, for quite some time now. CNN might just be it if we can
> convince them to cooperate.

you're talking about aol time-warner...

> [...]
> > >is the default configuration. This is because certain poorly designed
> > >switches flood (cgmp) if there is not at least one client listening to
> > >the multicast. The feature can be disabled.
> > >
> > >I believe Tuesday's event was one of the largest multicast events, and
> > >there were many people showing our video on the floor at N+I in Atlanta
> > >via I2 multicast.
> > >
> > >I would certainly like to receive some evidence that this is true, and
> > >if anyone can assist me in this regard, please feel free to contact me.
> >
> > I can certainly confirm this. I'm the person in charge of IP
> > Multicast for the InteropNet, the production network as well as the
> > experimental labs. We've had global multicast natively on the show network
> > ever since the spring of 1994, and for the last few shows, that feed has
> > come from I2. At various times multicast has gotten use ranging from
> > moderate to nearly nothing. However, this all changed last Tuesday.
> >
> > We had a large plasma screen in the iLabs intended to demonstrate
> > high rate HDTV over I2 (I'm sure some of you remember the profusion of
> > "HD-underwater.mpg" sessions that we're being announced. Unfortunately,
> > that was for us). We came in Tuesday morning and were preparing for the
> > first day of the show when word came in about the initial plane crash into
> > the towers. Our I2 Lead, Roy Hockett was able to switch the stream to a
> > CNN
> > broadcast that he was sourcing from UMich. We began attracting exhibitors
> > to the display even before the showfloor opened. Once the attendees were
> > on
> > the floor, the crowd had grown to well over a hundred.
> >
> > By this point, three things had happened. The crowds around the
> > one display had grown so large as to constitute a fire hazard, all the
> > major news web sites had completely melted down, and CNN was being
> > multicast from several sources. We then started loading multicast tools on
> > every PC in the NOC, from the one driving the large video wall to people's
> > individual laptops. By 10:30 (about half an hour after the floor opened)
> > we
> > had at least 3 large displays as well as a number of normal monitors
> > turned
> > out towards the plexiglass walls.
> >
> > Soon after, we had a good number of exhibitors come and ask how
> > get "the CNN viewer software". By noon, quite a few of the exhibitors on
> > the floor had a live feed and were drawing a good crowd. We closed the
> > show
> > early that day, to allow folks to attend to all of the obvious personal
> > business, but reopened for the next two days. During the whole time,
> > between the NOC folks and the helpful exhibitors, we kept news coverage
> > flowing to everyone at the show.
> >
> > I'd hate to see what this would have looked like with replicated
> > unicast.
> >
> > - Jim

> John Watters U of AL: Seebeck Computer Center 205/348-3992

Joel Jaeggli

Academic User Services

PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.