wg-multicast - Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience

  • From: Joel Jaeggli <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: John Watters <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Large Multicast Audience
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:17:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Tim Ward wrote:

> We actually got the OK from CNN to continue the multicasting for the
> duration
> of the event. IMHO what it will take is getting a hold of someone with a
> clue at CNN who saw how their brand suffered wrt unicast traffic, but
> excelled greatly wrt multicast. Should be the CTO/CIO of CNN?

that's great news...

> To what extent are there advertiser problems for this type of service?
> CNN on my local Cable has local ads. Marshal probably doesn't care about
> the Pizza at Carmen's, though.

There are three basic revenue streams here (this is somewhat simplified):

local advertsing --> local cable company

national advertsing --> cable channel

user subscription fees --> local cable company --> (fee paid to cable
channel)

back in the old days, cable channels used to pay for the privledge of be
on cable-tv-networks... Then ted turner came along and said my stuff is
compelling enough, That you the cable network are gonna pay me, to carry
my channel. With something like cnn that chunk of change directly from the
cable companies is huge.

I for one would be more than willing to pay 2-4 dollars each per month for
the privledge of recieving via multicast (at 1Mbit or higher) the 5 or so
channels that I actually watch instead of $25 or so for the 40 that I
don't. (which for the record ;) would be cartoon network, cnbc, cnn live,
comedy central, and animal planet, in roughly that order)...

joelja

> Tim

Joel Jaeggli

Academic User Services

PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.