shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Users] Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Users] Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

  • From: Russell Beall <>
  • To: Shibboleth Users <>,
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Users] Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:30:23 -0700

Scathing irony aside, I was certainly not advocating any increase in complexity or neglect for handling those areas which can be simplified effectively. An equivalent absurdity can be reached by following a trail of "logic" in the other direction -- and thus the machines rule our lives and nobody has to do anything anymore until the machines decide we are no longer necessary. ;-)

If time is going to be spent simplifying something, I would rather see other things simplified or made more understandable such as the config files. Some of the config files contain many elements which don't change for the average user and shouldn't be touched. Other elements of interest aren't particularly highlighted as special, useful or safe to change. A lot of documentation has to be read to make heads or tails of them.

I don't see packaging a web container into the installer as a vital area of simplification. It would be great for demonstration purposes and helping people get their feet wet, but it shouldn't necessarily be the only choice either.

We have a definite roadblock if an "average" web developer cannot wrap his wits around how to get a webserver and the Shibboleth IdP working together, but the question is -- has this really been a problem? There will always be issues from those who have trouble, even with a more complete install pack, but if the majority can get set up effectively then gaining a few extra percentage points in that area may not be worthwhile.

I have nothing really against the mega install pack idea, my arguments are in regards to the idea that it may become the only choice.

Russ.