shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

  • From: Paul Hethmon <>
  • To: Shibboleth Dev <>, Shibboleth Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:32:59 -0400

I'll echo the general sentiment I've read so far. I'd rather it stay a WAR
bundle. I do the tweaks and tuning for my copy of Tomcat that works in my
environment. Some of those are Shib related like the endorsed parser, but
others are putting in a custom P3P filter (damn IE) and fully cleaning up
Tomcat to get at least attempt to get rid of the basic security holes it
ships with.

On 9/22/09 1:35 AM, "Chad La Joie "

> This has come up a couple times and I'd just like to gauge the current
> feeling on the topic.
>
> Currently the IdP is bundled as a standard Java web application (WAR).
> This means that people have to set up a Servlet container of some sort
> in order to run the IdP. My thinking for a while has been that we
> should move to a model where the IdP is a standalone application. That
> is, it would require that Java be installed but otherwise would be fully
> self-contained.
>
> Do you agree with this?
>
> If this were the *only* distribution (i.e. no more WAR) would this be a
> problem for you?

-----
Paul Hethmon
Chief Software Architect
Clareity Security, LLC
865.824.1350 - office
865.250.3517 - mobile
www.clareitysecurity.com
-----

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his
own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the
other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker
in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer
who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

-- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens