shibboleth-dev - [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

[SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To: Shibboleth Users <>, Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:35:33 +0200

This has come up a couple times and I'd just like to gauge the current feeling on the topic.

Currently the IdP is bundled as a standard Java web application (WAR). This means that people have to set up a Servlet container of some sort in order to run the IdP. My thinking for a while has been that we should move to a model where the IdP is a standalone application. That is, it would require that Java be installed but otherwise would be fully self-contained.

Do you agree with this?

If this were the *only* distribution (i.e. no more WAR) would this be a problem for you?

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities