shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

  • From: Russell Beall <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Shibboleth Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:09:17 -0700

I will generally echo the sentiments of list so far.

Having established a well functioning IdP and being very familiar with the current process, which I do not see as difficult, I would like to see the packaging stay the same. Furthermore, while a monolithic packaging system may make it easier for first-time deployers, one of the concepts I have seen as critical in the use of Shibboleth is having an understanding of what is going on. Having a monolithic deployment option will just make it easier for newbies to consider that they don't really need to understand some of the underlying structure and just then expect it all to work out of the box.

I think we have a good system as it currently exists. Plus I like the idea of seeing it mature into a system-ready packaging which is easier if it remains more in a component form (as mentioned in Russ Albery's detailed message).

Russ.

Russell Beall
University of Southern California
Information Technology Services