shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:31:04 -0700 (PDT)

Me too. What he said.

Jim

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:09:17 -0700
From: Russell Beall
<>
To:
""

<>
Cc: Shibboleth Users
<>

<>

I will generally echo the sentiments of list so far.

Having established a well functioning IdP and being very familiar with
the current process, which I do not see as difficult, I would like to
see the packaging stay the same. Furthermore, while a monolithic
packaging system may make it easier for first-time deployers, one of
the concepts I have seen as critical in the use of Shibboleth is
having an understanding of what is going on. Having a monolithic
deployment option will just make it easier for newbies to consider
that they don't really need to understand some of the underlying
structure and just then expect it all to work out of the box.

I think we have a good system as it currently exists. Plus I like the
idea of seeing it mature into a system-ready packaging which is easier
if it remains more in a component form (as mentioned in Russ Albery's
detailed message).

Russ.

Russell Beall
University of Southern California