shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Users] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Users] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Shibboleth Development'" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Users] [SURVEY] Different IdP Packaging
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:50:41 -0400

Chad La Joie wrote on 2009-09-22:
> If this were the *only* distribution (i.e. no more WAR) would this be a
> problem for you?

I think it's really down to what the intention is to support particular
containers. If we're still planning to "support" standard containers (even if
there's a a support/doc emphasis on an embedded choice), then I think it's
important (and seemingly not hard) to continue to have an "install to WAR"
distribution.

So I suspect by asking the question, you're suggesting we actually *only*
support a single, specific container.

My feeling is that we're stuck between a pair of competing requirements
forced by the inability of some segment of the potential customer base to
accept that they need to maintain and operate a container. Those of us on the
lists today are very likely not in that segment, so asking for feedback here
amounts to a self-selection bias.

Basically I think it's a good thing to have an embedded option to ease the
initial evaluation/setup process for some sites, but not exclusively.