shibboleth-dev - RE: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: TargetedID Durability

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:11:38 -0400

> In the case of Shibboleth authentication, the information that we could
> provide back might be the ePTID (assuming there is no other personal
> information in the original SAML assertion). We would expect that the
> institution would keep a reasonable history of user<->ePTID associations
> so that they can (internally) identify the transgressor.

In fact, we already incorporated the ability to log transactionally who is
assigned what transient identifier during authentication (what we called
handles). We knew this was a basic requirement, privacy aside.

So you can do it now without even using TID or having a history of them.

Of course, a site can simply turn off this logging, or delete them, but
that's up to policy, the same as this.