shibboleth-dev - RE: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: TargetedID Durability

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:12:51 -0700

Bob,
-----
At 1:05 AM +0200 on 8/1/05, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

If we thought this happened a lot, we might think that there needs to be a UI at the IdP for an IdP user to pick an SP and say "forget my current ePTID with this one". I don't think we need this, though. I think the "de-federation" support that Scott mentions in SAML 2 would be initiated by UI at the SP (but I could be wrong about that).

- RL "Bob"

I think "we" need exactly that "UI at the IDP for an IdP user to pick an SP and say "forget my current ePTID with this one". That's one small way to achieve at least some level of anonymity, if the User cares to.

Clearly there are cases where that would be inappropriate but in those cases the SP should not accept an identifier that changes, or should have a way of re-establishing the actual association (with the User's knowledge).

WRT the SP "de-federating" (defenestrating?) a User, I assume that would be the equivalent of closing an account. Wouldn't the SP simply remove the ePTID from their ACL (or whatever) so that it was no longer useful?

David