shibboleth-dev - Re: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: TargetedID Durability

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:41:18 -0400

David L. Wasley wrote:
Chad,
-----
At 7:48 AM -0400 on 8/1/05, Chad La Joie wrote:

Here at GU we will need a good audit trail so we'll have to have the history of prior IDs kept. Personally I would like to see them kept in the same database (as opposed to a file somewhere) that the ePTIDs are maintained in, just makes it easier, I think, to operate on them programmatically.

Which entity needs the audit trail - the IdP or the SP? Or is the IdP supposed to support the SP in this way? Or ...?

I was just talking from an IdP standpoint. I think an IdP owner needs to be able to resolve past ePTIDs to their owner. It's the only way to bridge the IdP<->SP gap if you're trying to reconstruct past transactions. The reasons for needing to do that are varied and some are ones we'd cringe at (e.g. FBI coming and knocking on your door looking for info about Person X).

I think that any SP that cares what physical person is doing what should ensure that they have a persistent representation of that person. For example, a permanent ID (not only never reassigned but that will always be actively associated with the individual). By the same token, I think that one reason for a person to change ePTIDs occasionally is to break that association, for whatever personal reason. Thus I don't like the idea that the IdP might try to keep a complete dossier of ePTIDs used by each IdP Subject.

Take the case of a researcher using on-line licensed resources with "sensitive" information. S/he might use ePTIDs to dissociate searches to avoid sequential association of one search session with a subsequent one. S/he wants and expects anonymity.

I think the expectations for anonymity need to be set correctly. At least for me, I never viewed the ePTID as a way for a person to hide who they were and what they were doing from their own home organization, so the dossier of ePTIDs by the IdP would be moot in that case. I DO think the ePTID provides anonymity in the way you describe on the service provider side. If you allow the user to de-federate an ID and recreate it for each search they do then you do get the anonymity you're talking about. As a side note, if that's what you want what you should really do is just not create/release you ePTID and just make the SP use the handle since you're basically doing the same thing (assuming the SP can support methods).

I think the burden of "audit trail" belongs on the service provider (and in a sense the IdP is also a SP to its users). If there is a reason to know a particular person's actions, and the person is aware of that need, then a changeable ePTID is not an appropriate identifier to use with that SP.

I guess I see the need for audit trails on both sides so that when I go to an SP, trying to diagnose a problem a user was having (but now they've changed their ePTID because they had the option and surely wildly clicking all available options will fix the problem) I want to be able to say, "User <insert ePTID> tried to log in and got this error. Why?"

--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124