shibboleth-dev - Re: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: TargetedID Durability

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:03:08 -0700

Chad,
-----
At 7:48 AM -0400 on 8/1/05, Chad La Joie wrote:

Here at GU we will need a good audit trail so we'll have to have the history of prior IDs kept. Personally I would like to see them kept in the same database (as opposed to a file somewhere) that the ePTIDs are maintained in, just makes it easier, I think, to operate on them programmatically.

Which entity needs the audit trail - the IdP or the SP? Or is the IdP supposed to support the SP in this way? Or ...?

I think that any SP that cares what physical person is doing what should ensure that they have a persistent representation of that person. For example, a permanent ID (not only never reassigned but that will always be actively associated with the individual). By the same token, I think that one reason for a person to change ePTIDs occasionally is to break that association, for whatever personal reason. Thus I don't like the idea that the IdP might try to keep a complete dossier of ePTIDs used by each IdP Subject.

Take the case of a researcher using on-line licensed resources with "sensitive" information. S/he might use ePTIDs to dissociate searches to avoid sequential association of one search session with a subsequent one. S/he wants and expects anonymity.

I think the burden of "audit trail" belongs on the service provider (and in a sense the IdP is also a SP to its users). If there is a reason to know a particular person's actions, and the person is aware of that need, then a changeable ePTID is not an appropriate identifier to use with that SP.

David