shibboleth-dev - Re: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: TargetedID Durability

  • From: "Spencer W. Thomas" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:02:32 -0400

Here's a "counter" use case:

JSTOR expects that its participating institutions (IdP's in this context) will generally have the capability to identify the individuals who are engaging in practices that violate the terms of the JSTOR license agreement. A specific example of such violation is downloading a complete issue of a journal. If we detect such activity, then we expect that we will have information that we can provide back to the institution, such that they can identify the individual and discourage them from repeating the prohibited activity. We do not expect that they will tell us who the individual is, just that they have taken steps to prevent that person from engaging in such activity in the future.

In the case of Shibboleth authentication, the information that we could provide back might be the ePTID (assuming there is no other personal information in the original SAML assertion). We would expect that the institution would keep a reasonable history of user<->ePTID associations so that they can (internally) identify the transgressor.

Actually, the license text does not explicitly say that the institution should be able to identify the transgressor. What it does say is the following:

3.3 Licensee shall use all reasonable efforts to protect the Archive
from any use that is not
permitted under this Agreement, and shall notify JSTOR of any such
use of which it learns or is notified.
In the event of violation of the User Rules, Licensee agrees to
consider the imposition of further
restrictions on access to, and downloading and printing from, the
Archive. JSTOR and Licensee shall from
time to time consult on the establishment of further measures to
inform Authorized Users of the availability
of the Archive and of the User Rules.
3.4 In the event of any unauthorized use of the Archive by an
Authorized User, (a) JSTOR
may suspend or terminate such Authorized User’s access to the
Archive, (b) upon notice to Licensee
except in exigent circumstances, JSTOR may suspend or terminate the
access of the Internet Protocol
(“IP”) address(es) from which such unauthorized use occurred, and/or
(c) Licensee shall suspend or
terminate such Authorized User’s access to the Archive upon JSTOR’s
request.

Note the alternatives in paragraph 3.4. If the institution cannot "fix" the problem internally, we reserve the right to terminate access by IP address. If, as has been the case a few times, the IP address in question is a proxy server, a group of innocent users are also affected. So it's in the institution's interest to be able to identify the particular user and get them to stop.

The privacy concern can still be met, if we (both SP and IdP) share the minimal information necessary. In this case, we would say "we have noted actions in violation of our license by individual with ePTID X", without saying anything about what their activity was. The institution can identify the individual, but doesn't know what they were doing (exactly). We "know" what they were doing, but don't know who they are. Thus, the record of activity is never associated directly with the individual (unless the activity persists, and we need to take some legal action, I suppose.)

Taking the example a bit further, we might notice sequential downloads of articles, constituting in the aggregate several complete issues, from many ePTIDs but from the same institution. (or we might not. :-) We could send the list of ePTIDs to the institution and they could identify the individual. Taking it a bit too far, if a user changes the ePTID for a particular SP many times in a short time period, the IdP might suspect nefarious activity. (Big Brother is watching you.)

=S

David L. Wasley wrote:

Chad,
-----