shibboleth-dev - Re: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: TargetedID Durability

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:53:25 -0400

David L. Wasley wrote:
Bob,
-----
At 1:05 AM +0200 on 8/1/05, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

If we thought this happened a lot, we might think that there needs to be a UI at the IdP for an IdP user to pick an SP and say "forget my current ePTID with this one". I don't think we need this, though. I think the "de-federation" support that Scott mentions in SAML 2 would be initiated by UI at the SP (but I could be wrong about that).

- RL "Bob"

I think "we" need exactly that "UI at the IDP for an IdP user to pick an SP and say "forget my current ePTID with this one". That's one small way to achieve at least some level of anonymity, if the User cares to.

Clearly there are cases where that would be inappropriate but in those cases the SP should not accept an identifier that changes, or should have a way of re-establishing the actual association (with the User's knowledge).

Yeah, as Scott mentioned, Liberty takes this view, where the user is prompted for permission to establish this linking. I do wonder though if SPs should be allowed to dictate whether or not an IdP can effect this kind of change. Personally I think not, I do think they have every right to require that IdPs inform them quickly/immediately when they are making such changes so that the SP can take appropriate actions on their side.

I guess this all goes back to my view though that the IdP, not the SP, is the place where users should create/defederate ePTIDs.

WRT the SP "de-federating" (defenestrating?) a User, I assume that would be the equivalent of closing an account. Wouldn't the SP simply remove the ePTID from their ACL (or whatever) so that it was no longer useful?

In many cases, SPs that need the ePTID probably won't have it in an ACL anywhere (though they may). I think mostly it'll be used as a key to user information such as preferences, shopping histories, whatever. So it's probably less about correcting ACLs upon de-federating an ID and more about cleaning up used resources.

But either way, if an IdP is nice and sends a ManageNameId message to the SP it should be able to take whatever actions are needed.
--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124