shibboleth-dev - Re: Shib 1.3 configuration

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Shib 1.3 configuration

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • Cc: Steven Carmody <>, Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: Shib 1.3 configuration
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:13:24 -0400

On 5/24/05, Nate Klingenstein

> Acquiring keys from Bossie has never caused anyone any trouble in any
> install-fest; pointing correctly to them sure has, but they'll still
> need to be able to do this even if we bundle them.

Whatever happened to the good ol' days where people downloaded and
installed software for the heck of it, just a test drive to see what
it's all about. You install it, test it, read the install scripts,
see what it touches, examine the config, tweak the config, make it do
some things it doesn't do out of the box. You learn something in the
process. You learn something as a result of the install process, not
the other way 'round.

Really, the base distribution should have little (if any) connections
to InQueue or any other supporting sites out there in cyberspace. It
should stand alone. It should install and run. It should make no
(unreasonable) demands from the human who has chosen to install it.
Install time is not the time to insist that the installer know
everything you (the developer) know about the software being
installed.

Tom