ndt-users - Re: Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?

  • From: Simon Leinen <>
  • To: Richard Carlson <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:59:41 +0200

I don't really have an opinion, but it would be nice to have
the applet send information about its JVM version, and possibly OS and
browser, to the server so that it can be logged. For future decisions
of this kind, we'd have some demographic information to work with.

When I look into my Web server's access log, I can find out Java
versions for many (but not all) of the accesses to the NDT applet
code (Tcpbw100.jar):

$ for v in 1.{6,5,4,3,2,1}; do grep Tcpbw100.jar /var/log/apache2/access.log*
| echo $v `egrep -c "Java[ /]?$v"`; done
1.6 22
1.5 23484
1.4 6826
1.3 487
1.2 0
1.1 319

So 1.5 is dominant, but there's still a lot of 1.4 clients out there.
This is about a year's worth of logs. Looking at just the past two
weeks, 1.5's market share has increased further:

1.6 8
1.5 504
1.4 98
1.3 5