ndt-users - Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:38:12 -0400

All;

By now you have all seen the email exchange between Peter Van Epp and me. I would like some feedback from this user community before deciding on a final solution to the bug Peter reported.

Internet2 is now supplying an Knoppix based Live-CD with a pre-installed NDT server. I built this server using the Java 1.4.2 SDK. As Peter reported the jut released NDT-3.3.12 distribution fails on some Mac browsers with a run-time exception. Peter's team reported the problem and also supplied me with a patch (thanks Lixin).

I applied this patch to my test system, generated a 3.3.13 distribution, and set this up on my test system (web100.internet2.edu) again using the 1.4.2 SDK.

Peter now reports that the Safari browser on his Mac still fails, but firefox and opera work on the patched system.

One possible solution to the Safari problem is to switch to the Java 1.5.0 SDK development package. Unfortunately, this is not a simple switch. I have found that an Applet built with the 1.5.0 SDK will not run if the browser is using the 1.4.2 JRE. All the user gets is a small red X in the applet window.

There are 2 issues that I how need to address. (1) what SDK version should I use to build the Knoppix ISO? Since this is burned onto the disk it needs to work for the majority of cases. (2) should I recommend a SDK version for administrators who download and install the NDT tar file.

Our options are:

1) do nothing and ignore those pesky Mac users .-) [not a real option]
2) apply the patches Lixin supplied and continue to use the 1.4.2 SDK. [This may mean that Mac Safari users will be unable to run tests.]
3) apply the patches and upgrade to the 1.5.0 SDK. [This will force user to upgrade the JRE plug-in and there needs to be a note on the NDT web page telling users to do that.]
4) find out what new patches are needed to make the Safari browser run with a 1.4.2 Applet.

Which option do you like best/worst?

Rich

Richard A. Carlson e-mail:

Network Engineer phone: (734) 352-7043