mace-opensaml-users - RE: [OpenSAML] Signature validation

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: [OpenSAML] Signature validation

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [OpenSAML] Signature validation
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:41:25 -0400

> For example, I don't understand this:
> "By default, building from a DOMDocument will bind the document to the
root
> object returned, and document ownership is transferred to the object.
You're
> off the hook.

I'll rephrase it without the euphemism. It means you don't have to free the
Document, it will be freed when the object itself is. Xerces manages
everything by suballocation pools associated with a DOMDocument, so that's
the main object that has to be managed.

> Building from an element does not bind the owning document by
> default, but this can be overridden."

Meaning you have to tell it if you want document responsibility transferred
from you to the object (where "document" means the element's owning
document).

> Does that mean that my code is responsible for deleting an object returned
> by buildFromDocument()? "You're off the hook" is confusing me.

It's talking about the Document object. You're always responsible for an
XMLObject returned from a Builder, or from the static build methods.