mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] ComponentSpace and OpenSAML digest compatibility

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] ComponentSpace and OpenSAML digest compatibility

  • From: Craig Setera <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] ComponentSpace and OpenSAML digest compatibility
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:31:37 -0500

Scott Cantor wrote:
There are no instructions for much of anything in either version, that's
always been true. The old library has been unsupported for over a year, so
you either switch, regardless of the pain, or you're now the proud
maintainer of a SAML library. That's why we don't advertise or market this
code. We don't have the resources to provide any niceties.

Yep. Certainly not trying to bite the hand providing me free code! I appreciate the feedback you've already given. I have downloaded the latest version and I'm taking a look at it now.
There's no way to answer that without knowing what the problem is. Yes, the
new code uses the same library (probably a much newer version). There are
substantial differences in how the code handles signing, but verification
still basically requires the original DOM and just hands it to the same
code. Chances are it's being corrupted in transit if the signing code is
known to work.

-- Scott

Any thoughts on how it might be corrupted in transit? Looking at the XML, it looks OK. Would it be obvious? My cursory reading of the related specifications lead me to believe that the C14N and normalization would take care of non-obvious things such as whitespace. Is that understanding correct? If so, it comes down to the elements, attributes and their values that make up the input to the digest.

One other question. Does the public/private key information have anything to do with the digest generation? It doesn't appear to from my reading, but I wanted to validate that.

Craig