mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] ComponentSpace and OpenSAML digest compatibility

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] ComponentSpace and OpenSAML digest compatibility

  • From: Craig Setera <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] ComponentSpace and OpenSAML digest compatibility
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:10:33 -0500

Craig,

Not a full answer, but I have partners using the ComponentSpace library
against my Shibboleth 2 IdP over SAML2. If you are using the OpenSAML 1.1
library, you might consider switching to the OpenSAML 2 library. It still
supports the 1.1 bindings.

Paul

-----
Paul Hethmon
Chief Software Architect
Clareity Security, LLC
865.824.1350 - office
865.250.3517 - mobile
www.clareitysecurity.com
-----

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his
own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the
other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker
in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer
who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

-- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Paul,

I'm willing to make that transition. I guess I have two concerns:

1) My understanding is that OpenSAML 2 is not API compatible with 1.1? How difficult is it going to be to switch? Are there good migration instructions anywhere?

2) At least at the moment, I've been stepping through code and this *seems* to be down in the Apache XML security layer. Does OpenSAML 2 continue to use the same underlying libraries? Makes me wonder if I will see a difference?

I will start looking into the transition, but would appreciate any thoughts that people have on these concerns.

Thanks again,
Craig