mace-opensaml-users - RE: Building SAML 2.0 CPP Library

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Building SAML 2.0 CPP Library

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Building SAML 2.0 CPP Library
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 22:04:19 -0400

> What compiler are you using on Windows? make tools?

The official compiler there will be Visual Studio 2005 and the make process
is just VC8 project files right now. I don't have any plans to test cygwin,
although it might work without a lot of effort.

I'm told it builds on Visual Studio 2003, but I don't plan to test with it
or promise it will never break there, I don't have a copy.

It will *not* compile on VS 6.0, and if by some chance it did, there's no
chance it will work, as sharing of STL objects across libraries is
impossible in that version.

As with all C++ code, all dependencies MUST be built with the same compiler,
and I will post complete builds of all of them once the actual library set
is frozen, as I did before.

Actually building it will not be cumbersome if people just unzip those
dependencies and use the provided projects. I will also be providing
official library binaries for Windows, outside of Shibboleth itself, which I
didn't do in the past.

The only outstanding build issues are around the C/C++ runtime and the
manifest file stupidity they added to "fix" DLLs. I don't understand it well
enough yet to know what to do with it, or whether to do anything special at
all.