mace-opensaml-users - 2.0 Status Update & Request for Feedback

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

2.0 Status Update & Request for Feedback

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: 2.0 Status Update & Request for Feedback
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:53:39 -0500

It has been a while since I've sent an update on the OpenSAML 2.0 work so, as we're approaching a milestone, I wanted to update everyone. Before I do that, however, I'd like to request some feedback in the area of profile and binding support.

Profile & Binding Questionare
What features do you currently use?
What features would you like to see added?
What things have you tried to do but could not with the current code?

OpenSAML 2.0 Status Update
- The generic XML processing code has been factored out and placed in a new project named java-xmltooling (for the Java code) and cpp-xmltooling (for the C++ code)
- Development on the C++ XMLTooling code is well underway
- The OpenSAML Java code is now relying on the XMLTooling code
- SAML 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 object providers with the exception of signature and encryption support.
- Support for loading multiple configuration files was added
- Validators that check SAMLObjects for SAML 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 schema validity are well underway (though most haven't been checked in yet).
- Support for marshalling XMLObjects (the generic object behind SAMLObject) into DOM trees, possibly owned by other documents, has been added (though some namespace reconciliation code is still in the works). This means you can snip out an assertion from response and marshall it into a SOAP header created by another library IF both OpenSAML and the SOAP library are using the same XML parser (i.e. both would need to be using Xerces 2.X).
- Taking all the previous items together means the user-facing APIs should be close to their final state now, again with the exception of the Signature and Encryption add-ins.
- User and developer guides on the Wiki have been updated to reflect all the changes that occurred during the various refactoring
- Unit tests that cover almost all the code are in place with more to follow

While a whole lot of work has been done we're probably looking at a final release around the start of April, not in March as I had hoped.

A special thanks to Brent and Nicole, here at GU, for helping out with the object provider and validator coding.
--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124