grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Stems and Group Members

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Stems and Group Members

  • From: Loris Bennett <>
  • To: Richard James <>
  • Cc: 'Tom Barton' <>, Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Stems and Group Members
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:53:32 +0000

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 16:05 +0000, Richard James wrote:
> I would also express my interest in this feature. We now have a
> hierarchy set up within Grouper for the University, the way we have
> done it is by having a folder for each school/faculty, then within
> this folder have an individual group for each of the departments
> within the school, so for ISS it's similar to the below;
>

> Newcastle University (Parent Stem)

Just my 2 eurocents on this set up: You might find certain things easier
if you make "Middleware", "Unix Network Team" and "Information Delivery
Teams" stems rather than groups. You can then define a group within each
folder like "sor" to contain the people in that org unit. The advantage
of this is that when you come to make roll-up groups with grouperloader
for "all" groups (i.e. a group containing everyone in a given org unit
and all its children), the SQL will be much simpler and quite generic
since you will be able to refer to all the groups in the same way, e.g.
"%:sor".

I found it helpful to make a clear distinction between the org
structure, which I represent purely with folders, and groups, which I
use to differentiate between different types people within the org unit.
This approach also corresponds well when you have an automatically
generated group plus black- and whitelists (see include/exclude groups
for more on this).

Cheers

Loris

--