grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Stems and Group Members

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Stems and Group Members

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Richard James <>, 'Tom Barton' <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Stems and Group Members
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:36:19 -0400

Im not exactly sure what the configuration of the loader would look like if
we had this feature, if someone wants to give me a detailed description of
how it would work (what the configuration and output would be), that would
help me clear it up. I think if we had parentId, we would also need that id
in the group/stem somewhere, right? I get all SQL then process, but I would
like to order the SQL results to process in order and not keep things in
memory, so it seems a little complicated...

Yes, at Penn we have hierarchical orgs, and I think I will put that into
grouper since not a lot of people are using the existing flat structure
yet... this can be done with the existing loader with the following:

1. make a SQL function which goes from org_code to group_name: (just a loop
which goes until parent is null, appending)
2. I will probably make a view from this on org_code to group_name (and maybe
parent also), and periodically dump this to a table, for performance. I
don’t think we have custom loader jobs, but maybe I can create this concept,
so the loader can dump this to a table for me. Or maybe just a hook on the
existing loader job, which syncs it up.
3. In my query to the loader, just join org code with the expanded group
name, since the grouper loader query for group of groups does not require
each group to be in the same parent stem
4. Make another grouper loader job to do the rollups based on this org_code
to group_name table... (as Tom said, it includes all orgs in the org).

Anyways, I don’t think this is that inconvenient... so I wonder how much a
parentId in the loader would buy... well, I will try to get this working at
Penn and document it, and see where the pain points are...