grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] bug in 1.2 rc3 with mysql 5

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] bug in 1.2 rc3 with mysql 5

  • From: "caleb racey" <>
  • To: "blair christensen." <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] bug in 1.2 rc3 with mysql 5
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:24:27 +0100

>Did you also copy over the "MySQLDialect.java" file from Hib3 as well?
> I'm not sure if that would be sufficient a but a quick diff of that
>file from Hib2 and HIb3 shows quite a few differences.

Just tried to do that now but unfortunately I can't get it to compile,
the MySQLDialect in hibernate3 imports different packages (even
accounting for the net.sf >> org.hibernate name change). I also think
some of the classes it relies on have changed between the two versions,
looks like it might be quite a bit of work to get it going and would not
be that useful (not sure we'de want to use a hand rolled Frankenstein
hibernate2/hibernate3 jar)

>There might be other changes required to get a Hib3 dialect working
with
>Hib2.
>

>After looking at the dialect source, a quick solution would be to a)
>either modify the generated SQL to create the table properly

Think we will just go for this option it's clean, easy to do and easy
to document for others to follow.

or b)
>modify the "HibernateAttributeDAO.hbm.xml" file to limit the "value"
>to a length of 255. It should properly create a varchar for lengths
>of 255 or less. Unless you require extremely large group attribute
>values this probably isn't a problem.

Funily enough I've just been looking at unrelated issues with php which
truncates varchars down to 255. So if we wanted to do anything with php
to directly access the grouper database we would need it to be 255
anyway. This is a possiblilty as we have a lot of php based web
infrastructure. So might use php for sign up scripts, access management
etc.