grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] bug in 1.2 rc3 with mysql 5

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] bug in 1.2 rc3 with mysql 5

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: caleb racey <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] bug in 1.2 rc3 with mysql 5
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:46:26 -0500

A quick sanity-check: did you declare 'net.sf.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect' as the value of 'hibernate.dialect' in grouper.hibernate.properties? If not, after doing so re-run ant schema-export and ant db-init.

When you say that in previous versions it was a varchar, do you refer to v1.2.0 RC1 or RC2?

Thanks,
Tom

caleb racey wrote:
My colleague chris has found a bug in the recent 1.2rc3 release

The install of grouper 1.2 rc3 does not work on mysql 5 (our install is
mysql 5.0.22)

In schema-export.sql the grouper_attributes table fails to be created by
the sql
CREATE TABLE grouper_attributes(
id varchar( 128 ) NOT NULL ,
group_id varchar( 128 ) ,
field_name varchar( 32 ) NOT NULL ,
value text NOT NULL ,
PRIMARY KEY ( id ) ,
UNIQUE (
group_id,
field_name,
value
)
);

Which causes mysql to spit the error
#1170 - BLOB/TEXT column 'value' used in key specification without a key
length

If we change the line for the "value" column to be
value varchar (255) NOT NULL ,

Then the table gets created and we can get grouper to load and let us
login (we have not tested any further as yet) In previous versions of
grouper the value column is a varchar. Alternatively if we keep it as
text and give it a length in the UNIQUE section it also still works e.g.
as SQL above but with
UNIQUE (
group_id,
field_name,
value( 255 )
)

Anyone know if making the column varchar or keeping it as text with a
length is viable?

Alternatively we can use Postgres but have a great deal of effort sunk
into mysql and would much prefer to continue using it.
Regards

Caleb Racey Webteam ISS
Newcastle University