grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Hello from Duke

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Hello from Duke

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Hello from Duke
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:54:07 -0400

4. Performing a group search takes about 20-30 seconds even if no
results are returned.
That is less surprising. Given the number of groups you have any search is likely to return a large number of results - however, depending on the context the UI will then try to filter* the list - which may result in no results.

*By checking if the current Subject has a specific privilege, or one of a set of privileges.

I think the API is doing a %term% type match which may not be efficient against a large database

If you do a search which cannot possibly return a result e.g. ZZZZZZZ, how long does that take?

I'll respond to this later when our new database server is ready.

On the new database server, searching for something like ZZZZZZZZ takes about a second. However, other searches that have results before the UI filters them all out still take a very long time (a few minutes in some cases) if what I'm searching for is part of the stem of thousands of groups.

-- Shilen