wg-multicast - Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: Havard Eidnes <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 14:52:30 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:asq4Ih9Jz0h1fv9uRHKM819IXTAuvvDOBiVQ1KB+2ukcTK2v8tzYMVDF4r011RmSAtWdtqkP0reempujcFJDyK7JiGoFfp1IWk1NouQttCtkPvS4D1bmJuXhdS0wEZcKflZk+3amLRodQ56mNBX660e/5j8KGxj5KRE9ZqGsQtaT3IyL0LWS8oPaeQkAqTuxZ75pZEG2oC3XsdManM1kJ7pnmTXTpX4dX+lRw2pyKRq8ngv45862+9Y39ylWveMJ9dNGUL33ZeI+QKAOX2duCHw8+MC+7UqLdgCI/HZJFzxOyhc=
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

It's actually not as bad as it sounds. Indeed, for backwards
compatability, a v3 router can accept v2 reports and drop to v2 mode, but
only for *that* particular group. For ASM, there really isn't much of a
functional difference beween v2 and v3. More importantly, 232/8 is
reserved for SSM and non-source-included (ie, ASM) reports in this range
are prohibited. So SSM behavior is protected in this range. From
RFC4604, section 4:

It is important that a router not accept non-source-specific
reception requests for an SSM destination address. The rules of
[IGMPv3] and [MLDv2] require a router, upon receiving such a
membership report, to revert to earlier version compatibility mode
for the group in question. If the router were to revert in this
situation, it would prevent an IGMPv3-capable host from receiving SSM
service for that destination address, thus creating a potential for
an attacker to deny SSM service to other hosts on the same link.