wg-multicast - Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

  • From: Bruce Curtis <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Dave Farmer <>, Michael H Lambert <>, "Network Technical Advisory Committee" <>, John Kristoff <>, wg-multicast <>, Jon Buerge <>, Colin Murphy <>, Rich Ingram <>
  • Subject: Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 16:53:16 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:sFg0IRxYEa6hZ9HXCy+O+j09IxM/srCxBDY+r6Qd0eoQIJqq85mqBkHD//Il1AaPBtqLra8fwLOL+4nbGkU+or+5+EgYd5JNUxJXwe43pCcHRPC/NEvgMfTxZDY7FskRHHVs/nW8LFQHUJ2mPw6aijSI4DUTAhTyMxZubqSwQ9aKzpf/6+fnsZrMbgNTrDyser5oKhiq6wLLuYNe1Yx9J6Aq4h3YuXZSfelKg2RyKgTAsQz745Ka5oNo/mx7pug99tUIBa/gYq81C7dFFignKEgz6Nb28xTPUF3ctTMnTmwKn08QUED+5xbgU8K063Oiuw==
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 10:49 AM, Bill Owens
> <>
> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 03:15:16PM -0500, David Farmer wrote:
>> Since it's never been launched, it's a perfect thing to be INNOVATIVE
>> with. :)
>> If it hasn't been really tried, I'm willing to expend some effort on it,
>> and it seems to mostly work. On the other hand, MSDP must DIE, and I'm
>> willing to expend effort to KILL IT. Expending effort to kill IPv6
>> interdomain multicast seems wrong.
>
> Interdomain IPv6 multicast has existed for years, but has actually
> decreased in adoption as unicast IPv6 has grown. Stig Venaas did a hands-on
> workshop at a Joint Techs meeting in 2006, and at that point it was fully
> deployable. Not necessarily *usable* thanks to arguments about who owned
> the patents to do MLDv2 and various other implementation issues, but
> deployable on the backbones.
>
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/ipv6/2004/May/msg00000.html
>
> I don't actually know when we put it on the NYSERNet network, probably in
> the early 00's. It might still work, I have no idea.

The Janet dbeacon shows that IPv6 multicast is working between a few
networks.

http://www.beacon.ja.net/cgi-bin/m6

> I also haven't looked at the mix of OS/application/router support for v6
> multicast in a while. A quick glance at the VLC page says that it supports
> MLDv2, but doesn't break that down by OS. I think embedded-RP has been in
> all the routers for a long time, which is good.

Except for Cisco Nexus. I sent the message below to the IPv6 working group
but it looks like I did not send it to the multicast wg.

Begin forwarded message: