wg-multicast - Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: David Farmer <>
  • Cc: Michael H Lambert <>, Network Technical Advisory Committee <>, John Kristoff <>, wg-multicast <>, Jon Buerge <>, Colin Murphy <>, Rich Ingram <>
  • Subject: Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:49:55 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:A2FfdRUHdLHGdF9FnntpX8+mf/HV8LGtZVwlr6E/grcLSJyIuqrYZhWPt8tkgFKBZ4jH8fUM07OQ6P+wHzFbqs/c+Fk5M7VyFDY9wf0MmAIhBMPXQWbaF9XNKxIAIcJZSVV+9Gu6O0UGUOz3ZlnVv2HgpWVKQka3HUNPK+/0Ao/fidisn6D3osWLIlYAuD3oTbpsLRn+gwzLs8QMyd9sI7w0xwHhv35OPela2DU7H1+LmwfA4ZLk+4Fu9T94veM6+tRGXLm8eL43G+92FjMjZko04MmjkgbOSxDHsnwDX2MNuhxZGAXf6hzmGJDrvX2p5aJGxCCGMJiuHvgPUjO44vIuEUewhQ==
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 03:15:16PM -0500, David Farmer wrote:
> Since it's never been launched, it's a perfect thing to be INNOVATIVE
> with. :)
> If it hasn't been really tried, I'm willing to expend some effort on it,
> and it seems to mostly work. On the other hand, MSDP must DIE, and I'm
> willing to expend effort to KILL IT. Expending effort to kill IPv6
> interdomain multicast seems wrong.

Interdomain IPv6 multicast has existed for years, but has actually decreased
in adoption as unicast IPv6 has grown. Stig Venaas did a hands-on workshop at
a Joint Techs meeting in 2006, and at that point it was fully deployable. Not
necessarily *usable* thanks to arguments about who owned the patents to do
MLDv2 and various other implementation issues, but deployable on the
backbones.

http://lists.apple.com/archives/ipv6/2004/May/msg00000.html

I don't actually know when we put it on the NYSERNet network, probably in the
early 00's. It might still work, I have no idea.

I also haven't looked at the mix of OS/application/router support for v6
multicast in a while. A quick glance at the VLC page says that it supports
MLDv2, but doesn't break that down by OS. I think embedded-RP has been in all
the routers for a long time, which is good.

If someone really wants to try this stuff out, I can stand up VLC sources
(probably) on a working network (maybe)...

Bill.