wg-multicast - Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

  • From: Garret Peirce <>
  • To: Havard Eidnes <>
  • Cc: , , "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: [NTAC] Fwd: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:17:27 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:o9KNABPYGQ5IIQWZ8QQl6mtUPXoX/o7sNwtQ0KIMzox0K/TyrarrMEGX3/hxlliBBdydsK0UzbeN+Pm9EUU7or+/81k6OKRWUBEEjchE1ycBO+WiTXPBEfjxciYhF95DXlI2t1uyMExSBdqsLwaK+i76xXcoFx7+LQt4IPjuUs6X1pzvlrP6x5qGQwxWjSCxKZ5zIBO7tk2FtsQ+h4x4Jrt3zBbV9ChmYeNTkExhP0ieg17E68aq95Mrpzxduugq+uZFWKT8cuI1QaEOX2duCHw8+MC+7UqLdgCI/HZJFzxOyhc=

>At least "plain IPv6 unicast", doesn't suffer from any corresponding
>deployment bug, if that's anything to learn from.  Imagine where we'd
>be with IPv6 unicast deployment today if a single IPv4 host could
>through its mere existence veto IPv6 use on that subnet.

Well...unless one calls v6 rogue RAs and the immediate resulting DoS a unicast v6 deployment bug.  ;-)
Only mitigated by snooping/filtering at L2 which one could consider similar extra complexity to make unicast v6 viable.

Agree re: comments on IGMP v2/v3 as well as the consensus shift I read here towards SSM-only for interdomain.
I hesitate to abandon a tool such as interdomain mcast, just because of technical complexity.
That complexity might influence a solution, but the service need should be steering the car, not the other way around.  The need for interdomain mcast is admittedly low to non-existent, but like to think 1->many just hasn't found it's killer app yet.

ASM is still up here for now, but just as Bryant Pond, ME was last to have hand-crank phone service,
including party line service , perhaps we aim for that interdomain ASM trophy too.

--
Garry Peirce
Network Architect