wg-multicast - Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

  • From: Koos van den Hout <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:20:11 +0100

Ray Soucy wrote:

> The real way to get multicast adoption is to provide content that
> people want access to. It would be nice to see major television
> networks that already broadcast over the air allow I2 to multicast
> them and provide them with a larger audience for ad revenue and little
> or no cost to them.
>
> NBC, CBS, ABC, etc come to mind. Not sure why we don't have good
> C-SPAN feeds up either, and maybe every PBS station. I think if the
> case could be made to one big content producer, it would be easy to
> get the rest.

I can imagine the thought behind this but you are opening a big can of
worms here. Broadcast rights make everything which has to do with
transporting and distributing 'TV' in any shape or form needlessly
complicated.

I've watched discussions about multicast distribution of channels here
in the Netherlands and rightsholders always make a big fuss. The main
fear is that somehow, someway someone can watch something outside the
correct area.

Having said that, I'd like to thank to whoever leaked TBS from the US
via SAP and mcast group for ages. It's probably a leak which had the
same rights issues but it was fun to have access to older tv shows
(daytime in the netherlands is night to very early morning in the us).

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout

PGP keyid 0x27513781 (Use PGP!)
Phone +31-30-2534104 Personal homepage: http://idefix.net/

IPv6, the new Internet Protocol. When will you start supporting it?