wg-multicast - Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Garry Peirce <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:12:37 -0500

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:57:30AM -0500, Garry Peirce wrote:
> Using the frequency of messages on this list and working SAP entries as a
> rudimentary gauge, the level of interdomain v4 multicast work/content seems
> low (not to mention v6 which is not yet possible for us).

I think that the level of interdomain multicast is low, and not likely to
increase. So I would like to talk about v6 multicast, since I've grown jaded
and find ordinary v4 multicast to be quite boring ;)

Actually, it's because I have been worrying for some time about how the
transition to v6 multicast will affect the current users, though they may be
few in number. Specifically because we will lose interdomain any-source
multicast, which means that the original vic/vat model of sources being able
to come and go as they please simply doesn't exist any more.

This means no more "TV guide" function with SAP/SDP, which won't be much
missed since the list has long been clogged with advertisements from
admin-scoped groups coming from misconfigured sources. Unfortunately it also
affects the folks at the Access Grid, based on what I can find out about how
their software is set up.

It might be possible to rebuild the AG model so that it could function with
embedded-RP, if there were a 'host' for each session with a willingness to
operate an RP available to all the participants. That's probably the path of
least resistance, though it still doesn't look like an easy job.

The $64 question, then: when will this become necessary? I suspect that the
pressure will arise in the APNIC region since they'll be the first to run out
of v4, and existing networks will eventually feel the need to go behind NAT
in order to keep growing (assuming that they run dual-stack, v4 NAT and v6
native). I don't know when that will happen, though; perhaps we have a few
years yet before any of the R&E institutions run out of their existing v4
allocations.

Am I missing anything about the AG model, or any feature of v6 multicast that
would allow it to continue working as it has? And are there any other
widely-used interdomain applications that also rely on the traditional ASM
model?

Bill.