wg-multicast - RE: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

  • From: "Garry Peirce" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: The state of interdomain multicast - ?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:11:36 -0500

Bill,

Re: v6, agree! I'd like to progress on v6 interdomain myself, but v6 mcast
peering is not yet possible for us through the NoX (assume low interest),
let alone for any of our participants.
Until that's possible, all we have is v4.

Whether v4 or v6, content will determine its use and expansion.
That's why I've interest in trying to promote the development of casting
live events within our R&E as well as perhaps sparking interest with others,
or to learn of other applications for it.
When v6 interdomain mcast is possible (and video codecs support v6) the
content will then already be there to make use of it.
So I'm hoping to progress on both fronts at the same time up here.

Also agree that SAP/SDP is less than ideal and prone to contain empty
entries which degrade its effectiveness, but it's the only current method to
advertise a program guide globally.
I'm trying a gDoc calendar as well as another method, which requires more
user awareness.

In any event, it's nice to see some mcast discussion - a nice diversion from
the cyclic v6 host addressing discussions elsewhere ;-).