wg-multicast - Re: Another SAP Storm?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Another SAP Storm?

  • From: Dave Diller <>
  • To: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • Cc: Pekka Savola <>, wg-multicast List <>
  • Subject: Re: Another SAP Storm?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:07:09 -0400

Keep in mind that SAP is useful for some apps like SDR, VLC, IPTV, etc.
Policing the entire SAP group to 1Mbps just makes it easier to DOS SAP-
now you only need to send 1Mbps of mcast data at the SAP group and no good
SAP packets will get through either, effectively taking down the entire
SAP service.

May want to think about simply turning off SAP listening on the routers

True enough, and certainly the preferred course of action... one which rate limiting SAP may well work against. Once you limit it to save your downstreams it becomes "hey - look - no more problem, the router isn't melting down anymore, problem solved!"

The calculation for those downstreams who have not turned it off and get caught by things like this is whether it is better to just let their downstream routers melt, or 'just' have SAP be unusable for the duration. Once it starts affecting their regular/production traffic by slamming CPU to 100% and dropping BGP sessions, I'd rather have SAP be broken and limit the damage to that.

Well, I'd still *rather* everyone just turn SAP listen off in the first place, and I got at least one more to do so today after his Sup melted... so maybe I should just harass the others I saw flap one more time ;-)

(delete protocols sap )

Hehe... I prefer the more explicit

/* listening to SAP announcements can cause high CPU */
sap {
disable;
}

;-)