wg-multicast - RE: Another SAP Storm?

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Another SAP Storm?

  • From: "Brown, Robin" <>
  • To: "Caren Litvanyi" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Another SAP Storm?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:45:10 -0400

Yes, we can vouch for this. Higher than normal CPU on routers in the
path where there was obviously a SAP listener downstream. It also
invloved a lot of PIM traffic to our RP, this was also an impact on CPU
for us. I think though that not having sap listen enabled on our routers
kept us from total meltdown.

We were fortunate this time that it was not causing service disruption.
We have sap listen disabled.

Group: 224.2.127.254, (SAP.MCAST.NET)
Source: 81.194.43.1 (?)
Rate: 16711 pps/43716 kbps(1sec), 43737 kbps(last 50 secs), 32
kbps(life avg)

We're still considering blackhole-ing this mroute.

-Robin