wg-multicast - Re: Another SAP Storm?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Another SAP Storm?

  • From: Dave Diller <>
  • To: Pekka Savola <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast List <>
  • Subject: Re: Another SAP Storm?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:05:21 -0400

We've for years now installed policers in our upstream/peering
interfaces which rate-limit SAP to 1 mbit/s.

term Multicast_SAP_ratelimit {
from {
destination-address {
224.2.127.254/32;
}

Oh, interesting. While I've got SAP off (and didn't see the downstream-joins-causing-high-CPU issue reported by Caren), not all of our members were so configured, so my thought was to throttle based on matching UDP/9875 to try and not break the poor Sup720s. Too broad? I suppose it's possible something might start using that port, so the extra specificity of the SAP listen address can't hurt... maybe all of the above, something like:

from {
destination-address {
224.2.127.254/32;
}