wg-multicast - Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support

  • From: Andrew Swan <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: debbie fligor <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:00:38 -0800

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> However, RFC 3376 mandates that
>
> In order to be compatible with older version routers, IGMPv3 hosts
> MUST operate in version 1 and version 2 compatibility modes. IGMPv3
> hosts MUST keep state per local interface regarding the compatibility
> mode of each attached network
>
> So, old boxes running ASM will cause new boxes running SSM to fail, at
> least on the
> local LAN.

not necessarily -- the "compatibility state machine" (i forgot
the exact term used in the igmp spec) is maintained per-group so
it is only if an igmpv2-only host joins an ssm group
(i.e., 232.x.x.x) that there is a potential problem.

but, according to draft-ietf-ssm-arch-06:

A network can concurrently support SSM in the SSM address range and any-
source multicast in the rest of the multicast address space, and it is
expected that this will be commonplace. In such a network, a router may
receive a non-source-specific, or "(*,G)" in conventional terminology,
request for delivery of traffic in the SSM range from a neighbor that
does not implement source-specific multicast in a manner compliant with
this document. A router that receives such a non-source-specific
request for data in the SSM range MUST NOT use the request to establish
forwarding state and MUST NOT propagate the request to other neighboring
routers. A router MAY log an error in such a case. This applies both
to any request received from a host, e.g., an IGMPv1 or IGMPv2 host
report, and to any request received from a routing protocol, e.g., a
PIM-SM (*,G) join.

i have no idea if the actual implementations out there today
implement this clause but it shouldn't be a show-stopper.

-Andrew