wg-multicast - Re: Tracking Viewers on IP Multicast Video

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Tracking Viewers on IP Multicast Video

  • From: Dov Zimring <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Tracking Viewers on IP Multicast Video
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:34:58 -0800

These are Ethernet/IP Set Top Boxes and I see no reason these couldn't be used in the enterprise. Most of the commercial deployments I've been involved with are telephone companies that own or share a Cable MSO and are looking to extend their footprint to provide video service via Fiber or DSL. Encoding, transcoding, Video on Demand, integrated on screen caller-id, all that fun stuff

A few of the players in this space:
http://www.aminocom.com
http://www.i3micro.com/i3web
http://www.2wire.com
http://www.bastinc.com

For commercial deployments these vendors integrate with various middleware vendors to handle user accounts, retrieve corresponding program guides and take care of all the back office accounting and billing. There are a number of middleware vendors out there, to name a few:
http://www.myrio.com
http://www.minervanetworks.com
http://www.infogateonline.com/content.asp?id=15

There's a laundry list of other vendors for encoding/transcoding, VoD, encryption, etc. I've spent lots of time in the trenches deploying IPTV over DSL with video headends that were built for CATV and then retrofitted for IPTV. Happy to share what I know.

Regards,

Dov Zimring
Triple Play Architect
Occam Networks
work: (805) 692-2903
mobile: (805) 705-8813
http://www.occamnetworks.com

Alan Crosswell wrote:

Dov,

What products are people using in your space? Ethernet set-top boxes? Which ones? Anything that could be applied in the enterprise. Many of us are looking at converging campus CATV.
/a

Dov Zimring wrote:

I work in the world of commercial IP Video deployments over DSL and
Fiber, both of which utilize multicast for distribution of "broadcast"
content. Today the set top boxes are typically IGMPv2 and the service
provider's subscriber interface performs the function of an IGMP
router. Most of the equipment used in this space has per port interface
statistics which allow you to collect tracking info as a function of
network management. To validate bandwidth engineering assumptions
studies have been done which look at per device group membership
regularly throughout the day. Viewing trends are available per channel
and at a given time of day. To date I've only seen this info used for
network monitoring and engineering purposes but it clearly lends itself
to Nielsen market research type opportunities. The statistics cover
100% of your viewing population, if you want to know exactly how many
impressions a certain add made - you'd have the info at your fingertips.

The DSL Forum is hashing out a new architecture for migrating from
legacy low capacity ATM networks to IP/Ethernet networks in the telco
carrier markets. Conditional access, admission control and security are
a few of the many issues they attempt to address in this. Fast channel
change times are critical for end user enjoyment and thus more important
then conditional access so encryption is required end to end for content
security and electronic program guides on a set top box won't allow the
remote to select a channel that is not included in the purchased package
but nothing prevents a hacker from plugging in a laptop and scanning all
available multicast groups to see what's really there. They can join
groups but will end up with encrypted content. Admission control is the
most interesting problem right now. With HDTV, DVR, VoD, VoIP and
gaming all contending for last mile bandwidth, how do you inform the end
user that the TV upstairs can't switch from that standard def to that
high def channel because Johnny just purchased a time slot on a network
intensive multi-player game?