wg-multicast - Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: debbie fligor <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:41:15 -0500

Debbie;

One note : IGMPv3 is a replacement of v2, not just a addition of SSM to v3.
It adds some nice features (for example, edge devices don't have to listen to the traffic
from every other edge device, which can solve some problems in "Star" NBMA LANs).

However, RFC 3376 mandates that

In order to be compatible with older version routers, IGMPv3 hosts
MUST operate in version 1 and version 2 compatibility modes. IGMPv3
hosts MUST keep state per local interface regarding the compatibility
mode of each attached network

So, old boxes running ASM will cause new boxes running SSM to fail, at least on the
local LAN.

At present I do not know of any killer aps with SSM that are deployed, but of course that is partially a chicken and egg situation (and, if I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me).

I do have an SSM video group up and running.

Regards
Marshall