wg-multicast - Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support

  • From: Tom Pusateri <>
  • To: debbie fligor <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>,
  • Subject: Re: Help listing why we need IGMPv3/SSM support
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:17:46 -0800

I have been trying to get IGMPv3 support into MacOSX for several years.
I approached apple developers and was told the best way to get it in
was through a FreeBSD network stack upgrade since these typically get
brought in to MacOSX at regular intervals.

FreeBSD has been importing networking stack improvements from KAME
(a research group in Japan mostly dedicated to IPv6 and IPsec, see
www.kame.net).

KAME has an IGMPv3 and MLDv2 for FreeBSD but has been hesitant to import
it into FreeBSD due to Apple's Intellectual Property Rights claims
on Source Specific Multicast:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/APPLE-SSM.txt

Thus, creating a circular loop that I've been trying to break for years.

In October of 2004, people at KAME were considering whether they can
break their IGMPv3 implementation into host and router sides and just
import the host side (which they believe isn't covered by the IPR claims).
But I haven't heard anything new about this for a while. I pinged the
KAME guys in December but never heard anything.

I set up a mailing list to discuss this if anyone wants to contribute:

One of the biggest obstacles for SSM is the constant battle between
content and receivers.

Its hard to find compelling content for a small number of receivers and
its hard to increase the number of receivers without content.

Its also hard to secure the rights to content if we wanted to bootstrap
something. I have a proposal that out send out as a seperate note
and see if we can change some of this!

Thanks,
Tom

In message